This is my place to write about all things drinks and drinking. My name is Jason O’Bryan, and I’m a San Diego based writer and bartender. This is my reflections/education blog, and where I post experiments, reviews of local bars, tasty cocktails of any origin, professional bartender gripes, and anything else that falls within the admittedly capacious topic of drinks and/or drinking. I will try to refrain from listing off what I drank last night. Dull nonsense like that will be kept where it belongs, on twitter.
In January of 2010, I left a newspaper job in Boston to come to San Diego in the hope of finding a craft cocktail bar at which to work and plenty more at which to drink, and as much as anything, this blog will feature the subjects and products of that desire.
For many, the field of craft cocktails is made impenetrable by either a false ceiling of ignorance from the bottom, or a disapproving scoff of pretension from the top. I’ve tried to avoid these at all costs by following a small set of personal rules:
1. Life is too short to drink well liquor.
2. What’s in a glass can be as engaging and complex as what’s on a plate.
3. Waxed mustaches, secret doors, and overwrought mystique are requisite for neither the creation nor enjoyment of a well-made drink.
4. Those who display curiosity will always be rewarded with either answer or experiment.
5. Vodka is a flavorless canvas without character or distinction. It is the tofu of drinks.
5a. Some people like tofu, and that’s fine.
6. The primary goal of knowledge is to better one’s own experience, which is to say, learning more about spirits and cocktails helps one drink better, which is one of the main forces in the service of living better.
My goal is to live up to these, and hopefully be entertaining in the process.